River Itchen Weed Cutting Dates 2019
The river Itchen Weed Cutting dates 2019 have now been finalised by the Environment Agency and The Test & Itchen Association.
Sector A: River Itchen Weed Cutting Above Durngate Sluice ( Winchester)
|Sector A Cutting Dates||Sector A Clearing Off Dates|
|Thursday 2nd May – Monday 6th May||Tuesday 7th May|
|Wednesday 5th June – Wednesday 12th June||Thursday 13th June –Friday 14th June|
|Thursday 4th July – Wednesday 10th July||Thursday 11th July – Friday 12th July|
|Tuesday 13th Aug – Tuesday 20th Aug||Wednesday 21st August – Thursday 22nd August|
Sector B: River Itchen Weed Cutting Below Durngate Sluice ( Winchester)
|Sector B: River Itchen Weed Cutting Dates 2019||Sector B Clearing Off Dates|
|Friday 3rd May – Tuesday 7th May||Wednesday 8th May|
|Thursday 6th June – Thursday 13th June||Friday 14th June – Saturday 15th June|
|Friday 5th July – Thursday 11th July||Friday 12th July – Saturday 13th July|
|Wednesday 14th Aug – Wednesday 21st August||Thursday 22nd – Friday 23rd Aug|
WINTER OPEN PERIOD
Weed may be cut any time after 2nd October 2018 until 15th April 2019. Owners are asked to ensure that cutting is completed before trout spawning begins and that cut bank side vegetation is not allowed to fall in the river.
1. Weed Cutting should start at the beginning of the dates allowed. You must inform your downstream neighbour when you have finished clearing off and of any subsequent problems. Regular communication with your neighbours upstream and downstream is essential to ensure trouble-free weed cutting and clearing down. Weed cutting boats should finish one day before the end of each cutting period
2. The Environment Agency has granted consent for the general cutting of weed on the River Itchen, and approved the dates above. In the event of low river flows (and high water temperatures) the Environment Agency may request that weed cuts are postponed or reduced in extent in order to maintain water levels and quality. Cutting of weed outside of the authorised dates, without the Agency’s consent, constitutes an offence under Section 90 of the Water Resources Act 1991
3. Grass cuttings and bank trimmings must NEVER be put into the river. Depositing any form of solid waste in the river, including bankside vegetation, is strictly prohibited under Sections 85 and 90 of the Water Resources Act 1991
4. Riparian owners are asked to carry out bank maintenance and other works likely to cause displacement of silt before Christmas, to avoid damage to spawning. The advice of the Agency should be sought before the commencement of any work and the necessary land drainage consents obtained.
5. Weed cutting should be undertaken in a manner which is sensitive to the needs of the river habitat. Overzealous or indiscriminate cutting of river weed or marginal vegetation can negatively impact habitat for healthy fly life, fish and other wildlife.
CONTACT POINTS IN CASE OF DIFFICULTIES
Please report any weed cut problems in the first instance to the Test & Itchen Association office on 01794 341874 or by email to: email@example.com. Anything you can do to investigate the cause of the problem will help the Association respond effectively.